A Reverse Osmosis System for Hydroponics is a water filtration system that removes contaminants and pollutants from the water, making it clean.
It is important to know what type of filters you are going to need before purchasing your RO filter system.
I have compiled an epic guide that will allow you to make an informed decision when buying a RO filter system for hydroponics.
- 1 The 7 Best Reverse Osmosis System for Hydroponics
- 2 APEC Water Systems 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filtration System – Best Overall
- 3 LiquaGen Portable Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System – Best Price
- 4 HBrewO Portable Osmosis 4 Stage RO Purification Systems – Premium Choice
- 5 HydroLogic Stealth RO150 Reverse Osmosis Filter, Best Value
- 6 LiquaGen Hydroponics Reverse Osmosis System
- 7 WECO 0500GAC-CAL-UV RO Water Filter System
- 8 Buyer’s Guide: How to choose the best reverse osmosis system for hydroponics?
- 9 The benefits of using a good quality reverse osmosis system for hydroponics
- 10 FAQ
The 7 Best Reverse Osmosis System for Hydroponics
The reverse osmosis system is a very efficient way to filter water.
It can be used for everything from hydroponics, fish tanks, and aquariums but it also has other uses in the home such as purifying drinking water and cleaning dirty laundry or carpets.
What does an RO unit do?
It converts saltwater into freshwater by filtering out all of the impurities that are found in tap water like lead, chlorine compounds, mercury, etc. The result is clean fresh-tasting drinking water that will not have any foul taste or odor whatsoever.
APEC Water Systems 6-Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filtration System – Best Overall
Finally, a water filter that will make you so unbelievably happy with the taste and quality of your drinking water!
Don’t settle for subpar bottled water – use the APEC Water Systems 6 Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filtration System to get all of the healthy minerals and fresh flavor every day.
Put in any tap or well charged at 40 – 85 psi pressure, hang out on the porch while it does its magic, and then drink up knowing there are no more chemicals lurking waiting to zap away your health. And you can use it to filter water for your hydroponic system.
- Supreme quality - designed, engineered and assembled in USA to guarantee water safety & your health.
- This 75 GPD 6-stage system ROES-PH75 is guaranteed to remove up to 99% of contaminants such as chlorine, taste, odor, VOCs, as well as toxic fluoride, arsenic, lead, nitrates, heavy metals and 1000+ contaminants. Max Total Dissolved Solids - 2000 ppm. Feed Water Pressure 40-85 psi
- US made cartridge uses food-grade calcium from trusted source for safe, proven water pH enhancement. Enjoy ultra-pure drinking water with added calcium minerals for improved ALKALINITY and great taste.
- WQA certified system. Premium long lasting filters used to treat tap/well water. Provide unlimited clean drinking water.
- America's No.1 rated water filter brand with 20 years of success guaranteeing trouble free, noise-free system for long lasting, dependable, pure drinking water.
It’ll only take about 10 minutes before all 1000+ contaminants are gone PLUS unlimited clean crisp water is pouring out into your glass. With an up to two-year extended manufacturer’s warranty available from APEC Water Systems, you’ll be sure this filter is as good as it coms!
The water will taste great and be excellent for any purpose imaginable.
LiquaGen Portable Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System – Best Price
When you care enough to give your plants the best, use LiquiGen’s filtered water for their hydroponic growth.
This Portable Reverse Osmosis (RO) Water Filter System is super easy to install- no tools required!
Once it’s set up in your home or workspace, this outstanding 6-stage filtration system begins a process that reconstitutes minerals and other beneficial substances in the water.
Dual outputs allow convenient access to clean drinking water on one faucet and good soil moisture for all of your plants with another. You’ll love that it also features long-lasting filters which reduce maintenance costs over time.
- Designed to make sure your plants receive the purest water for healthy plant growth. By controlling your water quality you can start controlling the quality of what you grow. This is a Portable Water Filter System, which can be installed in just 5 minutes!
- 1st Stage: Sediment Block - High-Capacity Polypropylene Sediment Filter (Nominal 5 Micron Rating) -Removes dust, particles, and rust. Protects and extends the life of the reverse osmosis membrane and system.
- 2nd Stage: UDF Activated Charcoal Bulk of Carbon- Removes chloride, organic chemicals, tastes & odors from tap water.
- 3rd Stage: Coconut Carbon- Takes out unpleasant chlorine, cloudiness, VOC's & colors. The carbon water filter system will eliminate impurities & harmful minerals.
- 4th Stage: Reverse Osmosis Membrane- Removes harmful contaminants such as Mercury, Lead, Fluoride, Cyanide, etc. The heart of the unit, allowing for 100 gallon of water per day!
What do your lovingly cultivated greens need? The very best nutrient-enriched H2O!
I rank it #2 because I like its simplicity and quality of filtration.
The manual flush valve not only adds to the regular maintenance of this system but also greatly prolongs its life. This pre-assembled unit is easy to install and takes less than 10 minutes.
HBrewO Portable Osmosis 4 Stage RO Purification Systems – Premium Choice
This sleek, compact briefcase system by HBrewO is the perfect solution for those who have no budget and want to make high-end hydroponics operations. It is the best-equipped 4-stage water filtration system available today. This system features a dual carbon filter that is not found in any other systems on this list.
This impressive reverse osmosis system can filter even the most high-chlorine tap water.
- Only RO system intended for home brewing
- 4 stage RO/DI system
- 0 ppm water results
- High capacity filters
- Sediment and carbon filters for well water
The HBrewO kit was originally designed to produce the perfect neutral water for homebrewing beer. However, it can also be used to provide a stable base for adding minerals for hydroponics. The kit comes fully assembled and can be connected to any spigot or hose with the accessories.
It’s not cheap, but it is a cost-effective way to provide water that is completely neutral for hydroponics tasks. The HBrewO RO system is a great option if you are willing to spend a bit more for a portable, powerful and convenient RO system.
HydroLogic Stealth RO150 Reverse Osmosis Filter, Best Value
The HydroLogic Stealth RO150 system is small, compact, and quiet. It’s a great budget alternative. Although this 3-stage reverse osmosis system isn’t as pure as my top pick’s system with 6-stages, the HydroLogic is a great value for money and offers a significant price reduction.
The Stealth RO150 is a custom-built hydroponics system that was designed for gardening and hydroponics. It has been a top-selling hydroponics product for almost a decade due to its quiet operation and long-lasting durability.
- Removes 98-Percent of chlorine and contaminants and 96 percent to 99 percent PPM rejection
- Wastes approximately 25-Percent less than other RO Systems and pH is 3-11
- Up to 300-Gallon Per Day and maxium feed flow rate is 2 GPM
- Automatic Shut-Off Cartridge and tempurature limit is up to 140 degree Fahrenheit (60 degree Celsius) depending on pressure and time under load
- Wall Mountable Metal Bracket
The HydroLogic 3-stage system, which includes a reverse-osmosis membrane and a green coconut carbon filter as well as a cleanable sediment filter is an effective way to remove 98% of contaminants from water.
The Stealth RO150 requires more setup, as it requires mounting via an inlet tube or drain tube with an included filter wrench. It’s an affordable, well-serviceable option to our top choice for those on a budget.
LiquaGen Hydroponics Reverse Osmosis System
Our top pick’s smaller brother, LiquaGen’s 4-stage Hydroponics RO water filter system offers many of the same advantages as our number one but is more compact and cheaper. Although you will lose some of the company’s 6-stage mineral reconstitution, neutral filtering is a great way to add minerals.
This 6-stage LiquaGen reverse osmosis system is easy to install in just 10 minutes. It also has a single output valve that allows for easy filling and refilling your hydroponic beds.
- This product is great for aquariums, laboratory testing, and other applications where ultra-pure water is necessary. 1 year Satisfaction Guarantee, w/ life time support by water technology experts based in California. We pressure test EVERY system before it is shipped ensuring the highest standard of quality.
- Long lasting filters (standard 10 inch filters) w/ high quality connect fittings | Super easy & convenient installation.
- Pre- Assembled system for easy installation. Guaranteed 0 ppm water. Installation takes approximately 5 minutes!
- Manual Flush Valve makes this system superior to any other RO/DI system in the market by increasing the life of the unit, reducing possible leaks, and saves you valuable time when flushing the system every few months.
- High Rejection Reverse Osmosis (RO) Membrane. Film by GE USA 2 year manufacturer warranty; Lifetime customer support
It’s equipped with an activated carbon layer and a sediment filter that can filter 99 percent of contaminants from tap water sources.
You should make sure that the water pressure is sufficient to allow you to use this economical system. For optimal flow rates, it requires a high pressure of 50 PSI. This can be difficult to match with tap water flow in many areas of the country.
WECO 0500GAC-CAL-UV RO Water Filter System
The WECO Reverse Osmosis System was the only one in our testing that had a booster pump. It seemed to be well-suited to compete with its peers. This is true to a certain extent. However, the final results of the 3-stage filter were not as impressive given the high price.
The 3-stage system, which includes sediment and pre-filtration with compressed carbon block, has the advantage of being long-lasting and easy to maintain.
- Reverse osmosis drinking water purification system for residential and light commercial applications
- Sediment and compressed carbon block pre-filtration removes tiny particles like rust, silt, taste and odor-causing chemicals like chlorine, chloramine and rotten-egg odors.
- Standard 1812 Volume Thin Film Composite reverse osmosis membrans removes up to 98.5% of water contaminants like nitrate, TDS, fluoride, lead, sodium and mercury.
- Ideal for residential drinking water use, medical offices, laboratories, schools, aquariums and hydroponic growing operations. Automated water pressure sensors and booster pumps keep system functioning at maximum capacity.
- Please note this is not a complete whole house reverse osmosis system. Atmospheric tanks, jet pumps and other equipment need to be purchased separately for turning this system into a part of whole house RO setup. Read our whole house RO setup blog and contact us for more information before purchasing for whole house applications.
They do a great job of eliminating the most offensive chemicals, odors, but a 98.5% filtering capability is not a good value for this product.
The WECO is your best option if your city’s tap water pressure drops. Its automated water pressure sensors activate a booster pump that will keep things moving smoothly. We recommend that you look at the other systems if you have good water pressure.
Buyer’s Guide: How to choose the best reverse osmosis system for hydroponics?
Before you purchase an RO System for Hydroponics it is important to know what size of system will best suit your needs. The measurements should be made in gallons per day (GPD). This will ensure that the unit can provide enough water for all your plants and animals.
What are the features I need to look out for when buying a Reverse Osmosis System? Some factors which buyers should consider before purchasing include price, quality materials used in manufacturing, ease-of-use, carbon filters on the tap waterside (to remove sediments), and hydrogen peroxide on the water filtering side (to remove any residual chlorine).
The storage capacity of the unit is very important. It will dictate how long you can go without any water filter systems hooked up to it. If your plants need lots of water then a larger system would be recommended while if only one or two tanks are used, the size may not be that big an issue.
pH Level of the Unit
pH is the measure of acidity-alkalinity. Acids have low pH (below seven) while bases are high (above seven). It can be a complicated system to understand but for plants, it plays an important role in their metabolism and growth process.
A standard RO unit has a pH level of between six and eight which should work well for most hydroponics setups.
Installation of the Unit
What type of installation do I need? When purchasing an RO System for Hydroponics there are two types: point-of-use and under sink units which have their own advantages and disadvantages.
Point-of-use installations allow users to filter drinking water quickly but they require larger filters than those found in reverse osmosis systems with under counter mounting brackets. Reverse osmosis systems offer more protection from potential leaks because the plumbing lines on them come out from the bottom which is less likely to break as opposed to point-of-use units.
An RO System for Hydroponics will typically offer a number of purification stages.
The best course of action would be choosing one that has four or five steps that are capable of removing chlorine and most other harmful micro-organisms without damaging your plants while also being easy on your wallet.
A typical setup may include a pre carbon post filter (to remove sediments), GAC (granular activated charcoal) layer, membrane module, hydrogen peroxide stage (meant to kill any residual chlorine).
Amount of Sediments
The amount of sediments in your water will dictate how often you need to clean the filter. If there are lots then it would need more attention.
Most RO units have easy-to-clean filters that can be removed from their housing and soaked overnight in soapy water but some models may require disassembling them before cleaning which may take extra time depending on what type they are made out of.
The benefits of using a good quality reverse osmosis system for hydroponics
What are the benefits of a reverse osmosis system?
There are many advantages to using this type of filter. The main one is that it removes all impurities from the H20, including heavy metals such as lead and mercury which can be found in tap water as well as other harmful chemicals like chloramine or fluoride. Drinking RO filtered water will not have any foul taste or odor whatsoever making it perfect for drinking and cooking with.
It’s safe to say that an RO System for Hydroponics offers great value for money because you’re getting two appliances in one: a purified drinking water faucet attached right next to your sink and an easy-to-use water filter for your hydroponics system.
Another benefit of this type of product is that it can be installed under the kitchen sink without taking up too much space. As an added bonus, you’ll also get a polished stainless steel look that matches other appliances and fixtures in the kitchen like a refrigerator or dishwasher.
Lastly, RO units are environmentally friendly because they do not use any electricity to operate, unlike many electric filters on the market today that require power at all times.
The best reverse osmosis systems offer high-quality filtration with enough capacity for large families or those who have a large hydroponics system.
Is Reverse Osmosis good for hydroponics?
Reverse osmosis systems are perfect for hydroponics setups because they ensure that your plants will receive water of the finest quality possible.
What is the best reverse osmosis system?
The best reverse osmosis system for hydroponics is APEC Water Systems 6-Stage RO system because it has been built to last and can be installed under your sink which not only frees up valuable counter space but also looks sleek.
How do you purify well water for hydroponics?
If you want to purify well water for hydroponics, then a RO system is the best option available as it offers efficient and cost-effective results.
What are the benefits of Reverse Osmosis Systems?
The advantages of reverse osmosis systems include
- they remove up to 99% or more of impurities, including lead, mercury, etc.;
- they produce clean fresh-tasting drinking water which will not have any foul taste or odor whatsoever;
- there is no need to change cartridges or filters;
- they are very easy to install and operate.
How can I best care for my Reverse Osmosis System?
It’s important to know what kind of chemicals should be kept away from it so that it keeps working efficiently. Avoid using any cleaners with chlorine bleach or ammonia because these will corrode the system. Don’t use any abrasive cleaners because this will result in scratches on sensitive membranes and may cause leakage.